Home | Chandrasekhar Kanduri Laboratory

Noncoding RNA in Development and Disease

The prevailing view has been that genetic information as something that is transmitted from the DNA via RNA to proteins. It is the proteins that perform all biological functions in cells. However, the protein coding portion of the genome makes up only 1.5% of the whole human DNA and the remaining 98.5 % was historically considered as "junk DNA" not producing any proteins. Development of high-resolution DNA and RNA sequencing technologies revealed that the so called Junk DNA give rise to tens of thousands of small and long noncoding RNA molecules. Long noncoding RNAs, which are more than 200 nucleotide in size, do not produce any proteins but have been shown to perform extremely important biological functions as RNA molecules, and their deregulation is reported to cause tumor development and progression...MORE INFO

News and Events

- Event Mohamad Ali - Role of long noncoding RNAs in cell cycle regulation. (MID WAY SEMINAR) 2018 January 25, 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM.

- Event Kankadeb Mishra - Doctoral dissertation: 07/Dec/2017

- Event Santhilal Subhash - Functional characterization of non-coding RNAs in cancers. (MID WAY SEMINAR)

- News 2016/09/08 GeneSCF accepted for publication in BMC bioinformatics.

Recent publications

1) MEG3 long noncoding RNA regulates TGF-β pathway genes through formation of RNA-DNA triplex structures. Nature Communications

2) The Risk-Associated Long Noncoding RNA NBAT-1 Controls Neuroblastoma Progression by Regulating Cell Proliferation and Neuronal Differentiation. Cancer Cell.

3) Review: Long noncoding RNAs: Lessons from Genomic imprinting. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Gene Regulatory Mechanisms.

4) Review: Fighting Neuroblastomas with NBAT1. Oncoscience.

5) Review: Long Noncoding RNAs and Neuroblastoma. Oncotarget.


Grants received

From: 8th october 2014 MORE INFO

Get Involved

Interested in joining hands with our research. Available positions:
Check here. MORE INFO

Associated scientific networks

- THE NNBCR CONSORTIUM (Neuroblastoma)

- The European non-coding RNA training network (RNA-TRAIN)